Sunday, July 3, 2011

Business as Usual (or not so much...)

This weekend we accomplished something big! After weeks of planning, negotiating, practicing, and preparing, we finally taught our two-day Maluku Business Training Workshop.

Maluku is a suburb of Mbale, one which I used to feel very uncomfortable visiting. I felt open and exposed, and the poverty there was so apparent--so "in your face." Trash litters most streets here, but walking along the streets in Maluku, I became even more aware of it all.

We partnered with another NGO (non-goverment organization) called God's Mercy Youth Organization to plan and conduct the event. God's Mercy focuses on teaching impoverished youth skills of business, so that they can pull themselves out of poverty. For weeks, we visited God's Mercy headquarters, where youth have learned how to cut hair. My friend Devin was one of their customers! His hair looks great though. We all had fun watching, unsure of how the haircut would turn out...

We've also visited God's Mercy's woodworking shop, where young men are instructed in furniture construction. It was humbling to see them at work, but they still always have smiles on their faces, and their work looks great.

So Friday and Saturday we dressed up in our white shirts and ties and headed to a hotel conference center to teach about starting businesses, setting goals, managing time, and how to overcome the challenges of maintaining businesses.

African Standard Time is frustrating sometimes. But, after starting 45 minutes late the first day (only 30 minutes or so on Saturday), we tried our hand at teaching business. And with great success...

My friend Paul and I taught a fun workshop. To teach SMART goals (specific, meausureable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound), we let the kids "build" some structures with pot-sticker sticks and fruit chews. We gave them some guidelines and they loved every second of it! We realized that activities like that are never used in schools here. The education system is much less "student interactive" than in the United States. Knowing that, we set out to include these youth in activities, class discussions, and group work. At the end of the seminar, we let them create their own businesses in a competition. The winners seemed so happy.

After the workshop yesterday, I was talking with a "cool dude" (as he calls me, actually) named Peter. He was telling me how much he loves America and wants to come. I don't know what happened, but that's when my heart went out to him. I thought about how blessed I am back home, how many opportunities I have, and how helpful my education has been to me. And I began to feel something that President Eyring spoke about in General Conference a few months ago:

"The Lord regularly sends wake-up calls to all of us. Sometimes it may be a sudden feeling of sympathy for someone in need." [WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED AS I TALKED WITH THIS BOY PETER]

"When I am generous to Heavenly Father’s children in need, He is generous to me."
(April 2011 Conference, "Opportunities to do Good")

I feel that God has been more than generous to me for the past month or so. Mostly, that generosity has come in feelings, impressions, and lessons learned. It's come as I've suddenly felt love for complete strangers. It's come as I've held orphans in my arms, as I've looked into the eyes of cripples here, as I've shaken the hands of youth wanting to improve their circumstances. Most of all, it's come when I've considered my own blessings--how much He has given me. I have the best family on earth. I have the Gospel in my life. And I have opportunities--gifts and talents that I can use even here in Africa (though I'm still searching for a real piano!) I'm thankful I was able to be a part of this workshop.

In the upcoming weeks (they are flying by and I'm not here for too much longer), we are building on this workshop with more training meetings every Wednesday and Thursday. I love helping people, but mostly through motivating and inspiring them. I loved this weekend, and hope to be able to make more of a difference here.

1 comment:

  1. It really gets a person thinking about the priorities that we have and what's really important. You are really having some great experiences that will last you the rest of your life. Sounds like you are doing a great work there. Keep it up and enjoy your latest Adventure.

    ReplyDelete