Thursday, June 30, 2011

Class 5 Rapids on the Longest River in the World

So everyone has told me NOT to get in the Nile River. The water is full of bugs and parasites, including the ones that will swim up your urethra if you start to pee.

The first thing we "practiced" on our little rafting trip was flipping our boat over once it had tipped over. In other words, the first thing we did was jump in the water. Great. Here come the parasites.

Then we learned that the first rapid we'd be going over was a Class 5 rapid with a waterfall at the end of it. If we managed to paddle hard enough, we'd lead our raft right over the drop.

We missed it. So we went down the rest of the rapid backwards. At least we didn't go over a waterfall backwards.

Our next rapid was a class 4. Our guide, who realized we didn't paddle all that well decided not to give us any more instructions. He said we might flip over on this next one. I asked how likely that was. He said, "Fifty fifty."

We flipped.

And then we flipped on the next rapid.

And we flipped on five more.

On one rapid, we had to ride down on an upside-down boat because we flipped at the top.

And on another, we made it through alright, only to be "sucked" back in and flipped.

But what a fun experience! Our rafts would just slip into those rapids and plunge right into a massive wall of white water. Sometimes we made it through right-side-up. And then most of the time we ended up swimming in the longest river in the world. A river with brown water, but with life-giving water. Thousands of miles away it empties into the ocean, after passing through wildlife reserves and the sands of Egypt.

So would I raft the Nile again?

Definitely.

Would I want to take the "wild ride" option over the "mild" one?

Absolutely.

Because tumbling through class 5 rapids is not something you do everyday. It's not even something many get to do period.

I will say that I left a message on Mum's cell phone before we left:

"Hi, Mum. I can't believe you're ignoring me right now. I'm rafting class 5 rapids on the Nile River tomorrow. And I just wanted to say, just in case, that I love you heaps! If I die, just know it's been a pleasure knowing you!"

Chances of death?

To be honest, I think I'd die of a parasite quicker.

In the end, however, it was one of the best days of my life. The rapids are not like anything I've seen before. So for all of you who want a thrill you won't get elsewhere...

RAFT THE NILE RIVER!!!

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow McKay. I just found your blog and I am loving reading about your adventures. Now I have one more thing to add to my bucket list...raft the nile

    ReplyDelete